Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 7: Provo, Salt Lake, Ogden, and Idaho

Western slopes of the Rockies crossing I-70















































Put many miles behind us today. We left a warm morning in Green River Idaho, and ended up at the first rest stop in Idaho at 3pm. When we got out of the car, the thermometer was reading 48 degrees, and the wind was blowing like crazy. Anyway, I was sure glad I didn't wear the shorts and flip flops again today. We didn't get many pictures, because it rained most of the way through Idaho today.

We DID, however, make a little side trip this afternoon to fill a special request from Mom. Just 3 miles off of I-84 in Twin Falls, we found the site of Evel Knievel's infamous attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon back in 1976. I want you to know, we drove down some poor soul's private driveway to sneak a couple of these pictures. I'll bet they have been cursing Evil ever since that day 33 years ago. We also snapped some pictures of the bridge that crosses the Snake River Canyon going into Twin Falls. It is supposedly the only bridge in the United States that permits legal "base jumping" 365 days of the year.

We ate lunch at a great restuarant in downtown Ogden, Utah called "Roosters." We were sitting there eating lunch when I noticed a man walk in wearing a Clemson University shirt. Come to find out, he served as a consultant for one year on campus. We had a nice conversation with him, and how his 9 year old son now wants to attend college at Clemson. Later in the day, we were cruising west on I-84 in Idaho when this pickup comes by us with South Carolina tags and a big Clemson sticker on the back windshield. They noticed us and made some funny arm motions as they flew past us. Not sure what that was all about, lol.

To top off a huge day, Star and I finally located the "Garden of Eden" after 2,400 miles. I always thought it would be in some mystical location, but much to my surprise, it was located inside a tacky truckstop off of I-84 in Idaho...Ben
We thoroughly enjoy our GPS, Clara. She gets extremely upset when we exit or Ben decides to go chasing after Evil Knievel. Since I vetoed a detour to take pictures of the football field at Brigham Young, I had to let him go take pictures of where the idiot tried to jump the Snake River. (After all, it is Father's Day.) It's an incredibly long distance across the Snake River there and even further down. Clara did lead us nicely, however, to Mountain Home. I think it's the first day we've actually ended up at the destination we decided on in the morning.
The final destination is getting pretty close, and we're practicing calling it home. We might even camp out there on our air mattresses if we beat our stuff to Sequim. We decided that a United moving truck in Utah had to be ours and almost called our truck driver, Fred, to see if he'd stop and let us find some warm clothes and clean underwear. Tomorrow, we're going for Portland. I hope we don't have to stop in Boise to take pictures of the blue astro turf on the football field...Star P.S. You might want to inspect carefully the picture at the Garden of Eden to see what has really attracted my attention. It was the only truck stop I ever saw with a food court.
















































3 comments:

  1. Star, There you go trying to take a bite of that apple; that's what got us into trouble the first time. The pictures continue to be great, and you two are indeed on your excellent adventure. I get the feeling that ya'll are about ready to get"home". Have fun today.
    Ben, that's my boy-going to see where the evil guy tried to jump Snake River Canyon. It just goes to show that you have not forgotten your roots.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. check your email
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snake River Canyon on Wide World of Sports. Remember that just like it was yesterday. Thats too neat. You'll have to tell me all about this Ben! Binky

    ReplyDelete