Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 1 Jasper, Alabammer




Sorry for the delay in the first day's post, but the Holiday Inn couldn't get our internet working last night. I was beginning to think 'bammer had not yet reached the computer era.
I'm sitting in the hotel room in Jasper, which is located on Highway 78 between Birmingham and Tupelo, Ms. It's pretty country out here (with an emphasis on "country"). We ate supper last night Brangus Steak House, which the front desk recommended to us (fried green tomatoes, potatoes, and overcooked hamburger steak). When I asked the waitress what people do in Jasper for fun, she listed off the names of a couple of drinking establishments. When I asked what Jasper in known for, she just shrugged her shoulders at me.

Anyway, thanks for the hotel recommendation, Adrienne. As tired as we were last night, I would have stopped in downtown Baghdad. The hotel really is nice and clean.

It's 7:30, and we are about to get some breakfast and head up Highway 78 through Tupelo, Memphis, Little Rock, and hopefully Oklahoma City today. We are prepared for a long day of driving, so we can reach Santa Fe by Wednesday...Ben

I have just returned from the lobby, where a woman was inspecting her underarms in the
mirror by the front entrance. However, I keep telling myself that Jasper is way better than roaming the streets of Birmingham, waiting for trains and red lights, looking for a place to stay. On deciding to leave town, Clara (our GPS voice) led us on a merry chase through places where we were afraid to ask directions.

Thanks to everyone for helping us in the departure: packers, organizers, those who took stuff home with them, and (especially) well-wishers. We're not looking back, but we carry all
of you with us...Star

1 comment: