Monday, May 19, 2014

Mail Run and Mick Fleetwood, just another day on Maui

So, today was my turn to make the mail run for Haleakala.  It's not just a little skip and hop to the post office, but a trip from headquarters at 7,200 ft. all the way down to Makawao at 1,500 ft.  They sent me in a big dually pick-up, which should have been my first hint.  Anyway, when I arrived at the post office front desk, I asked for the Haleakala National Park mail.  A man came from the back and said, "I'll meet you out front."  About 5 minutes later, he comes out a side door pushing one of those large mail buggies full of boxes, packages, and letters.  When we were done loading, the truck was almost full.

Afterwards, the morning coffee had set in and I thought, "I'll never make it back up without finding a restroom," so I headed to a hidden away one Star and I had previously found.  I looked up to see another man entering at the same time as me, and there was Mick Fleetwood!  Now I have never met Mick, but I have followed Fleetwood Mac closely over the years and was positive on my identification.  As we went in, I smiled at him, stuck out my index and second finger and said, "Hey, Mick."  He stuck out the same two fingers back at me and grinned.  We took care of business and left without either of us saying another word.

Absolutely the closest I have ever stood to a musical legend, and to think, it was while using a urinal in a public restroom.

I don't use the word "awesome" in everyday language like people tend to do today, but let me tell you one thing.  Mail duty at the park is AWESOME!

On the way back up at about 4,500 ft., I pulled over at a lookout, lowered the tailgate, and ate the egg salad sandwich Star prepared for me this morning.  A couple of tourists stopped and asked some questions, and as I sat there eating, I thought, "Pinch me, is this real?"  Afterwards, I snapped these shots from my lunch spot.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment