Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it's off to work I go...

It's a magnificent 25 minute drive from our little house straight up Crater Road to my office which sits at 7,200 ft.  I start with the windows down and the radio blasting music, but by the time I am halfway up, the windows go all the way up as temperatures start dropping.  Overall, it's not bad weather up there.  It was 62 degrees this morning at the house and 49 degrees at the office.  The nicest part of the day seems to be from sunrise to 11am, while it is still clear and warming up (low 60's today).  Then, the trade winds start picking up moisture from around the volcano and the clouds slowly start to build.  By the time I left at 4:30 this afternoon, it was back down to 52 degrees, rainy, and completely socked-in.  I was greeted back at the house at 5pm by Star, sunshine, and 68 degrees.

The people at the park are fantastic.  I couldn't ask for better co-workers.  They have been friendly, welcoming, and full of advice.  Plus, there are plenty of fascinating projects awaiting me.

Here are some random photos from my workplace at Haleakala National Park.

Time for these guys to hit the trail and deliver supplies to the
backcountry.

Camera hogs...err, mules

Greenhouse where indigenous plants are raised to be
transplanted in the wilderness.
 

Our work compound

My office is located in here along with four others.


View back to Park HQ's and up the volcano from my office
 
I went to leave the office today, and right outside the door was
the famous (and endangered) Nene Goose. When I asked if I could
 take his picture, he honked and struck this pose for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment