Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Houston, we have a problem...



Such are our feelings, after making a second attempt to hike the rugged, dry southeast coastal region of Maui.  I was out in front, and Star was about 10 yards behind me, as we tried to reach portions of the ancient King's Trail and ruins along the coastline in the isolated area of Kanaio.  The going was rough from the start, not because of steep drop-offs or high elevations, but loose slippery rock underneath us on a steep downhill grade.  We shoulda, woulda, but we didn't turn around while we could.  I heard a yell and turned around to see Star on the ground, lower left leg pinned underneath her upper leg. 

Now one thing some people might not know about Star is, she's tough, real tough.  Refusing to be rescued and end up as some news story, she insisted on returning to the car.  I cleaned her wound, but splinting was out of the question unless two lava rocks could serve the purpose. 

Using me for support, she stepped and yelled her way all the way back up the steep grade we had descended.  When we reached the road, a car of tourists came by and basically came to a complete stop watching Star hobble down the shoulder with blood running down her leg.  She sat in the car, looked at me, and said "I think you should take me to the E.R."  The x-rays were done, and the verdict was in, broken fibula in the ankle.  She's down for about 6 weeks.

When I was a kid, Dad kept these funny motivational signs in his office.  Stuff like, "If you don't have a hernia, you're not pulling your share of the load."  Star reminds me of the one that read, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

No comments:

Post a Comment