Friday, July 22, 2011

Farewell from Mono Lake























The bags are packed, and we'll be leaving this incredibly beautiful part of the world early in the morning and headed back to South Carolina.




We have been asked by some family and friends why we go on vacation and spend so much time exerting ourselves with hiking and backpacking.



Here is the best answer I have for now...



I have been to the mountain tops, the high valleys, gorges, cirques, land of waterfalls, and beginnings of rivers that you can't see from a roadside lookout. I have been where the air feels different when you breathe it. I have been where the stars are brighter, the skies are clearer, the flowers are more vibrant, and there are no signs of civilization for miles. I have been to places where only the Native Americans treaded once upon a time. I have been where creature comforts are at a minimum, but when you return, the food tastes better, a hot shower feels wonderful, and you are able to maintain a greater appreciation for the daily pleasures we often take for granted.



A special thanks to Sarah for allowing us to share her home.


Until our next adventure,


Ben and Star

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have just recieved a comment on my blog from you but the email is not showing your email so I can't send you a reply. I would be happy to provide you with lots of info about altitude trekking and the three passes trek in Nepal if you send me an eamil. Please email me at celine@nucleus.com and will get back to you shortly!
    cheers
    Celine
    PS thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete